Monday, November 24, 2008

Where To Put The Moose

The moose takes up so much room. It's bulky, loose awkward stance also required that it leaned on something. He was cute enough but also so cumbersome. It was somehow understood that moose are more or less "Christmas-like" especially this one, with his red collar. He was a gift, a big bulky gift. For a long time he was placed near a closet, leaning on a wall, crunched up against a dresser. Comments were made like; he is so big and is taking up all the wall space", or "I can't figure out where to put that moose", and on and on.......... with every comment/complaint I would think, what a glorious problem, 'where to put the moose'. Eventually it was decided that the big bulky moose could be outside, on the deck, as a Christmas decoration. He was placed outside in the cold, leaning on the cold outer house wall, wind blowing his deep brown fur and floppy ears this way and that. There was an element of proud relief as I was told, "the moose?", well, he is outside now, I finally decided to get it out of here, he was just too big, I couldn't even get in to my closet well." And anyway, if it rains or snows I will bring him back in. Problem solved. Again, such a glorious problem to solve, 'where to put the moose'.

A deliver man happened by. He saw the moose, fur all askew sitting alone on the deck. When he rang the bell for his delivery, he said, "Pardon me Ma'am, that moose is going to fade color from the sun and the cold will dry it and it will crack and what if it snows? She said, "I will bring him back in if it rains or snows." "Well Ma'am, the cold and wind, well, it's not my business Ma'am but it wont last a month out here". She signed for her package and he left.

The moose is back inside. He has a new place in her home near the display of family photos and just near the end table., He fit perfectly and she can see him as she watches TV. He has a name, Elmer. Why did I tell you about the moose? I did so because 'where to put the moose' is the biggest problem my wonderful 85 year old Mom has to resolve. I am so grateful that a moose is her focus and not oncology appointments, or visiting nurses or meals on wheels or a hired driver and so forth. She is healthy - she prepares her own meals - she drives and shops - and other than her yearly routine check-ups she has no medical appointments on her calendar. The moose and our many conversations about what to do with him were a beautiful reminder of what is and is not going on in her peaceful life. I never ever minded when she complained about how the moose was in the way or an 'eye-soar' - I loved every discussion about what to do with the moose.

I wish for us all and those we love that the biggest problem we all face is "where to put the moose."!!

Love,
Gail
peace.....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Gail

The people lucky enough to sit at your table will be silently thinking of what a beautiful soul you are.
They may not say it out loud but they all see you as a survivor whose strength has led her through adversity...a kind, funny, loving and generous spirit who makes the world a gentler place.

Sending you love, light and thanks for being who you are. Peace.

Gail said...

Thanks Anonymous-

Please tell me who you are. Such beautiful words attached to no name.

Gail
peace

Anonymous said...

jewelz

Gail said...

Hi Jewelz-

I am SO glad you told me. I will count this and you as gifts this Thanksgiving.

I hope your holiday is peaceful and kind.

Love,
Gail
peace.....

Comrade Kevin said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope it's a good one.

Utah Savage said...

Happy Thanksgiving Gail.

PENolan said...

Did you get ornaments for Hope? Did you get to bash the intruder on the head with an empty wine bottle?

Gail said...

Hi "T"-

Still the same two things hanging on 'Hope'. My Mom is visiting today and she is bringing two things that represent Hope to her. :-)
The intruder? Well, I met him, tried not to like him, he is, at first meeting, an all right guy. A bit red-neck, and a quiet humor. The jury is still out though.....Deliberations will be long and critical.

How was your Thanksgiving? Ours was wonderful, it really was. :-)

Love,
Gail
peace.....