Wednesday, February 4, 2015

How we effect one another is all that really matters.

I recall, a few days after my Mom passed away.  I was sitting on the couch and bracing myself for what I needed to explore. I had a different language for it back then, - I was going to look back over my life and see if I had any regrets as to how I treated my Mom.  I was, in actuality, exploring how I had effected her.   I was so profoundly relieved to really know that I had always effected her well, considered her, showed her love and honor and kindness and all things good.  There was one time when I left the area and moved away for about a year.  My leaving had a hurtful effect on her and my Dad - I was so thankful I had made amends years before while they were both alive.

This wisdom about how we effect one another is certainly not new - however it is intensifying, deepening and is the recognizable guide upon which I do most everything.  Oh I am  not a saint or perfect, and I catch myself doing or saying something unkind from time to time - but not without immediate regret. And immediate amends.

I have people in my life that have not come to embrace this wisdom and one day, they too will have to atone.  I do wonder if everyone faces this self realization of how they have effected others.  If so, I do hope it is sooner than later and before it is too late.  It is hard to atone when the person or persons we effected badly are gone.  

I can honestly say that in this moment in time I am free of needing to make amends for how I may have effected another negatively. I do my best to consider others, act kindly, and 'listen'........ This understanding is so gentle and so natural now.  I am humbled and so grateful to have received and embraced this wisdom and to abide by its life-giving force.






10 comments:

Unknown said...

yes we all do this and call it different things. Well put Gail, well put!

Muffie said...

It's a catharsis when we right our past wrongdoings. I recently made amends with someone, and it totally liberated me!

Anne said...

Very well said. We all go through this but in different ways. It is all about the process of learning and growing.

Gail said...

@BRITEMIST - Hi Joey - and thanks for your validating comment

@MUFFIE - I like that word, liberating. It describes the feeling so well. Thanks :-)

@ANNE - yes, the process is unique along our life's journey

Love to all
Gail
peace.....

Judy said...

Gail, there is so much wisdom in what you say. Every day, I wake up with the intention to be compassionate. Every day, I may miss the mark. But, I start again and, if needed, make amends.

Gail said...

HI JUDY - what you said is the best we all can do in any given day.
Love Gail
peace.....

Margie said...

Amen to your words, Gail ...
Nothing better than being at peace at how we might have effected others...
If we need make amends the time to do it is NOW before it is too late and that person is gone from our life ..

A wise post, thank you, Gail ..

Gail said...

HI MARGIE - thanks for 'knowing' and sharing

Love Gail
peace.....

Amanda said...

This post of yours really hit me in he gut (in a good eye-opening way). I'm grateful to have made amends with others that I've needed to, and am now working on the "being present and appreciative" of those around me. I need to do a little of this work with my immediate family.

Your post is such a good reminder of living life in a way where we recognize how we are interacting and effect one another. Thank you for this!

Gail said...

Hi Amanda - so good to see you here and I am honored that my words "effected" you in a goof and mindful way :-)
Love Gail
peace.....